When you think of the Grand Targhee Resort in Alta, Wyoming, you probably think of a great place to go skiing and snowboarding. You’re not wrong. It’s a beautiful mountain paradise that offers plenty of fantastic runs for skiing and snowboarding. There are even terrain parks where you can test your skills as you work on that next great trick. While Grand Targhee has a neutral stance on backcountry skiing and snowboarding, you have that option there as well.
But did you know that the Grand Targhee Resort has so much more than just great skiing? While much of the resorts features are built around skiing and snowboarding, it goes so far beyond that. Want to go tubing down a hill? Maybe you’ve always thought about taking a bike down the mountain. At the Grand Targhee Resort, you may do all of that, and so much more.
The Thrill of Winter
The Grand Targhee Resort really does have a lot to offer. If you love the winter, this resort is a paradise of activities and recreation. You may stay plenty busy skiing, snowshoeing, biking, and tubing. At the end of the day, you can enjoy a nice and relaxing massage or dinner up the mountain in a yurt.
· Early Tracks. If you love skiing, early mornings, and aren’t too fond of crowds, the Early Tracks program is for you. You’ll head out with guides before the chair lifts open up to the public. Explore the absolute best of what Grand Targhee offers. And you’ll have the mountain all to yourself.
· Snowcat Adventures. If you want unreal access to over 600 acres and almost 15,000 vertical feet of runs on some of the best powder ever, you have to check out the Snowcat Adventure. You’ll join eleven other skiers with a professional guide and ski in your own private powder paradise. A snowcat takes you to the area and ferries you around. You’ll typically run between eight and twelve runs on this incredible adventure.
· Nature Center. If you’re a little more curious about the environment and ecology of the mountain, be sure to visit the nature center. You’ll learn all about the different animals and trees of the forest, why Grand Targhee gets almost 500 inches of snow a year, and who manages the land.
· Naturalist Snowshoe and Skiing Tours. If you love hiking, take your quest for nature one step further. Strap on your snowshoes and hike through the forest led by one of Grand Targhee’s naturalists. You’ll learn all about the forest and its ecology by being out in the wilderness. They also offer a ski tour.
· Nordic Skiing and Snowshoeing. The Grand Targhee Resort has an impressive fifteen kilometer system of groomed cross country trails. You’ll find breathtakingly beautiful scenery while you enjoy Nordic skiing. You may also rent some snowshoes if you don’t have any, and hit the trails that way.
· Fat/Snow Biking. Of course, you may always enjoy the impressive country trail system in a completely different way. Mountain biking is popular year round here. Grab a fat bike, a bike with tires almost four inches wide, and take to the cross country trail system for a ride you won’t soon forget.
· Tubing Hill. Take a break from all that hard work of skiing, biking, or snowshoeing. Grab an inner tube and hit the tubing hall for an afternoon and evening of sliding fun. All you have to do is hold on and slide down the hill. A magic carpet lift will do all of the work getting you back to the top of the hill.
· Sleigh Ride Dinner. This is a great way to end your day. Dress warm, and get ready for a beautiful sleigh ride through the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. Your ride will end high up at their alpine yurt. Here, you’ll enjoy a fantastic Western style dinner with incredible hospitality and views to match.
· Massage. What better way to the end the day than by being pampered while you relax? Anew Massage will work away the stress of a day on the mountain with everything from a Swedish massage, hot stones, and everything in between. Afterwards, enjoy a calming soak in the hot tub or heated saltwater pool.
A Resort of Everything
As you can see, the Grand Targhee Resort has so much more to offer beyond skiing and snowboarding. It’s the perfect winter retreat. You’ll find plenty to keep you entertained during the winter. And after you spend a day in the cold, you can always enjoy a nice warm meal or a relaxing massage and soak in the hot tub.