What are the best fishing holes in Idaho for salmon?
by Kevin Hughes
on Thursday, June 9th, 2011 at 9:35am.
For those who love water, Idaho has an abundant supply for recreation of all types. Beautiful Coeur d’Alene Lake, expansive Lake Pend Oreille,and serene Priest Lake are a few just in the northern part of Idaho. In the middle of the state are the Dworshak Reservoir, and the magnificent Salmon River. And then in the southern part of Idaho is the amazing Snake River, Idaho Falls, and Bear Lake. Scattered throughout Idaho are many smaller rivers, lakes, and streams to satisfy almost any water lover’s need. Along with the many water options are great real estate opportunities for those searching for Idaho area properties.
Fishing in Idaho is incredible regardless of the season or weather. There is fly fishing and trout fishing, bass fishing and a variety of lake fishing, and even a huge variety of salmon fishing spots. Salmon fishing enthusiasts would enjoy almost any part of the state, and finding some Idaho real estate in your favorite salmon fishing area is quite easy to do.
- Snake River is located in the southern part of Idaho and winds from the Boise area across the state to Idaho Falls. Many creeks and streams spawn from this major waterway, providing a plethora of fishing options. A variety of salmon are available including Coho, Silvers, Chinook, Chum, and Steelhead.
- Clearwater River is found in the middle to northern part of Idaho near Lewiston and Grangeville. This beautiful river is home to many types of salmon, particularly Steelhead but other varities can be found there as well. The Clearwater River is known to be one of the best fishing spots in Idaho.
- Kelly Creek flows into the Clearwater River and is a smaller, quieter area for fly fishers and anglers to enjoy some real quality fishing. No salmon, but great trout are here, including Idaho’s native Cutthroat.
- Salmon River flows from central to southern Idaho, and is also known as the River of No Return. This is a very popular fishing spot that has plenty of salmon available in virtually any part of the river. One of the most amazing features of this river is the awe-inspiring view of the canyons carved from these waters.
- Many, many other rivers and streams highlight the Idaho landscape – making almost any area a great area for fishing! Waterways worth mentioning are Bruneau and Jarbidge, Boise river, Hells Canyon, Lochsa, and Selway.
Of all the waterways, the Snake and Salmon rivers provide the best places for salmon fishing – particularly in the hatchery sections of these rivers. Idaho is the sole inland western state that has rivers with ocean-run salmon and steelhead. State records show salmon caught at 54 pounds. This makes Boise Idaho and surrounding areas unique for real estate owners and investors – particularly those who are salmon fishing enthusiasts.