by Kevin Hughes
on Sunday, October 9th, 2011 at 5:54am.
Old Mission State Park is located in Northern Idaho about an eight hour drive from home here in the Treasure Valley. It is also referred to as the Mission of the Sacred Heart and has the oldest building in Idaho. The park includes: the church, the parish house and the property.
The History In 1842 Pierre-Jean De Smet arrived in the area per a request from the Coeur d’Alene Tribe. Along with Nicholas Point and Charles Duet, Pierre-Jean De Smet built the mission in its existing location. Antonio Ravalli took over in 1850. He designed a new building that was constructed by the Coeur d’Alene people. The wattle and daub technique was used. The mission became a supply station for settlers, traders and miners as well as a port for boats along the Coeur d’Alene River. The mission was given National Historic Landmark designation in 1961.
The Mission Today The Mission of the Sacred Heart still holds great historical importance.