University of Idaho's Education
· Art and Architecture
· Business and Economics
· College of Graduate Studies
· Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences
· Natural Resources
· The University Library with over 1.4 million books and other publications is the largest library in the state.
· Idaho Commons, a center for a variety of student uses and services including a food court.
· The Student Union Building, which together with the Commons provides student services, places to study and a theater.
· The student recreational center, where there are several facilities for students to exercise.
· An 18-hole golf course begun in 1933.
· An Arboretum and botanical Garden, named for the forestry professor who conceived the idea in the 1920’s
The campus was designed by the Olmsted brothers, sons of the architect that designed New York City’s Central Park and the US Capitol grounds.
The teams are known as the Vandals, a name which came about in 1917 when a student newspaper reported that the University basketball team vandalized their opponents. The reference stuck, and they have been known as the vandals since then.
There are four primary rival schools, Washington State, only eight miles away, Boise State, Idaho state and the University of Montana. The rivalries with Washington state and Montana go back almost 100 years and have been the source of intense competition.Kevin Hughes